The Academy of Acupuncture currently offers two options for seminar participation:
Live / Livestreaming and Home Study
Frequently Asked Questions
Home Study Courses:
Live Courses FAQ:
Home Study FAQ:
Detailed description of our Seminars (Five Arts 山醫命相卜)
Module 1 – Dr. Tan's Core Essentials
This course explores fundamental training on the Five Systems of the Balance Method, which are based on Ba Gua relationships and the Chinese Clock. Developed by the late Dr. Richard Teh-Fu Tan, this methodology focuses on logical needling of balancing meridians to heal body ailments. Upon completion of this coursework, participants will be able to apply the concepts immediately in practice to develop effective treatments. Note that this program is recommended for both beginning and returning advanced practitioners, as cumulative theoretical learning and needling practice is absolutely necessary for continued elevation of clinical practice.
The 3-day seminar includes:
- Discussion of Mirroring and Imaging Formats for optimal point selection
- Live demonstration of distal point techniques (to avoid aggravation of treatment site pain) and hands-on practical applications
- Examination of actual case studies from the presenter and participants, including complicated scenarios involving musculoskeletal pain in numerous body areas
- A focus on the treatment of pain (eg, musculoskeletal pain and injuries; chronic pain; tingling, burning, and numbness due to a variety of causes)
- An emphasis on the use of the least number of needles to achieve great results
- Integration of foundational methods in a practical format for better assimilation of the material
Module 2 – Dr. Tan's Point Prescriptions
This course will expand on the core principles taught in “Dr. Tan’s Core Essentials.” All participants must have attended multiple Core Essentials seminars before advancing to this fast-paced, highly detailed coursework. Specific treatments, case studies, and demonstrations will be provided throughout.
This robust 3-day seminar includes:
- Deep discussion on the treatment of functional and internal disorders
- Clinical presentation of Yangming, Shaoyang, and Taiyang patterns
- Use of the Imaging format to treat internal concerns and full-body pain
- Advanced treatments specific to male and female disorders, such as Dr. Tan’s Eight Magical Points
- Actual case study explorations of internal syndromes including digestive, respiratory, gynecological, and emotional disorders
- Exploration of Meridian Conversion—the relationship of channels to the hexagrams, a specialized application of Dr. Tan’s Global-Balance Ba-Gua methods
- Development of simple treatments that affect the body at a deep energetic level
- Explanation of Zang-Fu diagnosis and associated Meridian diagnosis for devising effective herbal and acupuncture treatments
- Discussion of difficult cases and hands-on demonstration showing practical applications of choosing and combining methods
Module 3 / Advanced Track
Practitioners are eligible to take classes in this track when they have completed all previous modules.
The Advanced Track coursework is sure to enhance your repertoire of treatments.
- Balance the Five Elements (Based on Ba Gua of the I-Ching)
- A Season – Based System using Balance Method (Based on Ba Gua of the I-Ching)
- Dr. Tan’s Strategy of Twelve Magical Points
- Smart Combos: How to integrate various Balance Method Strategies
- Balancing the 8 Extra + Scalp Acupuncture
- Dr. Tan’s Applications of Master Tung’s Acupuncture
- Treating Marijuana Syndromes with Balance Method and Chinese Herbal Medicine
- One day with Dr. Han in her Clinic – Case studies with Acupuncture and herbal medicine
Optional Clinic Observation Externship: This option is designed to supplement the classroom lecture series. Upon acceptance into this one-on-one externship, practitioners spend intensive days in the classroom, followed by up to a 3-hour clinical observation shift with Dr. Eileen Han in her San Diego clinic. Practitioners then return to their own clinics to practice and fine-tune their skills before their next training session.
A minimum 3-hour shift is recommended. However, participants may elect to attend an unlimited number of shift hours. Note that all shift hours may be applied to the 18-40 hour Internship required for premier / Executive Practitioner Balance Method certification.
For more information about Clinical Observation Externship scheduling and requirements ONLY, please e-mail us and send your specific questions.
I Ching for Optimal Wellness
Heaven and Humankind Are One:
Learn the Magic of the I Ching to Enhance Your Life
If you’ve ever heard of the I Ching, you may know that the 64 hexagrams within this 2,500 year-old book have been used throughout Chinese history as a diagnostic tool to uncover the roots of and potential treatment approach to a person’s medical or personal concern. In this 4-day course, we will provide the essentials of the I Ching and share the magic of the hexagrams so that you can apply the wisdom of this tome to help guide your life.
In the first 2 days of the program, we will learn about using the I Ching as a tool for gaining objective insights into any situation through analysis of the hexagrams. The last 2 days will dive deeper into the use of the I Ching as a tool for medical diagnosis and treatment. By the end of this engaging and insightful course, you’ll have the practical know-how to use the I Ching as a tool to gain objective advice about your life and your overall well-being.
“If you wish to be a great doctor you should be well-versed in I Ching.” – Sun Simiao (581-682)
Welcome to the I Ching, the 2,500 year-old tome used throughout Chinese history as a diagnostic tool to uncover the roots of and potential treatment approach to a person’s medical or personal concern. In this 4-day course, we will discuss the essentials of the I Ching and its 64 hexagrams so that you can apply the wisdom of this tome to help guide your life.
The first two days of the course will cover the practice of the I Ching as a tool for gaining objective insights in any situation by analyzing the hexagrams. The next two days will focus on the application of the hexagrams for medical diagnosis and treatment. At the end of the course, you will know how to use the hexagrams of the I Ching as objective advisors in your personal life as well as in your medical practice.
These seminars explore the modern reality of Distance Acupuncture—that is, the ability to treat patients who are not physically in your presence. This approach utilizes multiple modalities, including Balance Method acupuncture, I Ching, Ba Zi, Meditation, and External Qi Gong to virtually treat patients in the location of their choosing, anywhere in the world.
When you consider the advantages of being able to treat more patients and the flexibility this offers both you and the patient, the upside is immense. Start with our 1-day Core Seminar then advance to the 1-day Advanced Seminar once you have mastered the basics.
Core Seminar (1 day)
- The scientific support for Distance Meridian Healing and its role in the framework of Chinese Medicine
- Using the Three Essentials/Ba Zi to determine a patient’s Energy Type
- Overview of the Global Balance patterns that can be applied to Energy Types
- Self-Cultivation techniques to enhance your connection with the patient’s Qi
- Protocol—including communicating with patients, needling technique, retention time
- Pitfalls to consider and avoid
- Tips and tricks for integrating Distance Acupuncture into your practice
Advanced Seminar (1 day)
- Review of Core Seminar foundation
- Pathogenic principles and treatment points based on I Ching divination
- Establishing the healing pathway using I Ching interpretation
- Case studies
- Special case uses of Distance Acupuncture, including self- and group treatment
None, however prior completion of TAA Module 2 (Point Prescriptions) and TAA BaZi Level 1 will enhance understanding of the Core Seminar material.
Completion of TAA “I Ching for Optimal Wellness” (4-day seminar) is highly recommended to establish foundational understandings for the Advanced Seminar.
The Three Essentials: Bā Zì 八字
Decoding the connection between birth-determined personal timing and wellness
In Chinese culture, there are Three Essentials, or factors, critical to attaining and maintaining physical, emotional, psychological, and spiritual well being: Ba Zi, Timing, and Environment Design Medicine.
Our The Three Essentials Seminar:
- Explains how to read and interpret a Ba Zi chart
- Delves into the importance of personal versus timing
- Explores Ba Zi timing in determining optimal treatments
- Touches on advanced Chinese philosophy on the Three Essentials and the role of these factors in manifesting a more robust and fulfilling life.
Ba Zi can significantly improve your practice
- Provides insight into patient strengths, weaknesses, and vulnerabilities which may impact past, present, and future conditions
- Helps identify patient personality, thinking patterns, and disposition to facilitate communication
- Aids in diagnosis and may help you address emotional blockages inhibiting treatment outcomes
- Offers a deeper look into the root of more complex issues, including Shen disorders, chronic illness, and recurring conditions
Ba Zi will help you learn more about yourself
- Your own Ba Zi chart will reveal inborn intricacies that have shaped your emotional, mental, and physical self
- Details uncovered in your Ba Zi assessment will help you identify people, developments, opportunities, and dynamics that can enrich your life and your practice
No Prerequisite. This class is open to anyone seeking to learn about Ba Zi for personal or professional benefit!
Min Jie Herbal Balance System
Introduction to the Min Jie Herbal Balance System
This introduction is specifically designed for you as a Balance Method practioner to understand and master the entry level of the Min Jie Herbal Balance System rapidly and effectively, so you can radically and exponentially improve your clinical success over its three modules: